Art is so cool.
My daughter exclaimed.
- You've never even met him!
But I talk with him every Friday afternoon on the phone about music.
- Are you excited to know what he looks like?
That'll be cool.
A FEW MINUTES BEFORE:
I called up Jackpot Records.
Hey Art, I said.
It's Joseph. What are you spinning this week?
- "Oh, hi. Let's see...there's this compilation that's out called 'Change the Beat.' Have I mentioned it before?"
- "It's a late-70s, early-80s two-disc compilation. The label is Celluloid, I believe. It's a really varied mix, from post-punk, sort of Joy Division to...reggae. Quite diverse."
And I wanted to tell you how much I've been enjoying Federale. I'm not sure how they had slipped under my radar, but that was a great recommendation that I've passed along to other friends as well. So thanks from them too.
- "Oh good...and I don't know if I've mentioned Mac DeMarco."
- "Okay. His second album is out. It's called '2.' Just really jammy, good time, electric guitar...the voice and production are interesting - the vocals are warbly, like something is wrong with the tape. Interesting."
Hey, I'm sorry, I know you probably have customers there...
- "Yeah, let me just get a couple bags here..."
(I hear him briefly chatting with customers, then bidding them farewell. Then he's back on.)
- "Have I told you about Wooden Indian Burial Grounds?"
- "Okay. They're experimental rock. Almost classic rock, big sound, big drums. They're local too."
I'm jotting their name down as we speak...
- "Have I mentioned Parquet Courts? They're Texans living in New York. Nineties pop sound. They were in Portland Wednesday night and I saw them. Their first full length album is...it's pretty flawless, in my opinion."
Nice! I've been hearing good things about them.
That is a solid endorsement.
Hey, thanks again, Art! Really appreciate your recommendations. Catch you next week - and have a great weekend!
- "You too."
So yeah, that's my friend Art. Haven't met him yet. But he's so great. And Parquet Courts...got some listening to get in...
Happy Dad's Day Weekend, all.