...What do you enjoy listening to when you're not at work?
I asked the credit union* teller, as Muzak dribbled out from speakers hidden behind a fake plant.
Sheepish look on her late-20s countenance.
- "Believe it or not...country."
Nothing wrong with that. What sort of country? Hank Williams country...new country...some other country?
- "It depends on my mood. I'm a total mood listener. I guess old country, but there's some good new stuff too."
So what would be an example of "old country" you really enjoy?
I asked, as she wrote out my deposit slip.
- "Let's see...Garth Brooks. My family raised me on country.
So as a "mood listener," what do you listen to when you're very happy?
- "Johnny Cash,"
I LOVE Johnny Cash!
It's kind of a bond with me and my dad. And I haven't heard much Garth Brooks, but I know my wife likes him.
- "Johnny Cash is great," she agreed. "Garth is too. My family listened to him a lot growing up."
What kind of country do you listen to when you're sad?
- "Alan Jackson. Randy Travis. And George Strait. I love George Strait. I've seen him in concert. He's great."
I'll have to hear some more of him.
I said, and turned to go.
"You didn't say what you like!"
Thanks for asking!
As far as country, I love Johnny Cash. And I LOVE Lucinda Williams. And...have you heard of Clem Snide?
Well...they're not strictly country. But you can definitely hear some Hank Williams** in there. I like them a lot.
"I will have to listen to them."
I said, and turned to leave for the second time.
Thanks for chatting!
She was very nice. I love it when people get excited about things. Like country music.
*free tip for the day. Find a good credit union and say goodbye to banks forever.
**Clem Snide = Hank Williams + Sonic Youth